Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Secondary Considerations

I reckon the Secondary needed better PR to get them a more important sunding name...

The secondary works into our defensive plan by hopefully be able to take advantage of mistakes forced by the pressure caused by our LBs. So the basic idea behind the defense is D-Line occupies, LBs pressurise, and Secondary capitalise.

My secondary will generally have high Vision and mobility so that they read the play up front and can be in the right place at the right time.

I hope for the CBs to get a lot of PDs and INTs, and force incompletions. By going aggressive, we risk getting beaten over the top, but my philosophy is that the occasional big but inconsistent big play is much more preferable to consistently having the opposition move the chains for long, time hogging drives. This gives us a better chance to force more 3 and outs IMO.

The two CBs I have built so far have been:

Bentel Chunkback

Benter Chunkback

so I have a Speedster CB and a Vision based Coverage CB. Thus far, I'm liking the performance of the Vision based CB a lot more - he simply gets into position to make more plays. I do think its essential to have a speedster or two to match up with the opposition WRs though, and in D-Leagues thats not really going to be a big factor, so the Speedster is probably underperforming while the Vision guy is overperforming at this stage.

CBs will likely play aggressively, actively going for interceptions.

For my FS and SS, I want them to be my consistent last line of defence in the passing and rushing D respectively. I want my SS to identify the rush early and go in and snuff it out, while I want my FS able to read the passing game and be in position to tackle the receiver.

My current SS build still has a fair way to go:

Bentong Chunkty

That level of Tackling should hopefully make him fairly safe in that aspect for a while, so now its his Vision and mobility that are being improved to make sure he can be in the right place at the right time to use it.

Bentee Chunkty

has now got plenty of speed, but will need the agility to use it, then the Vision to head in the right direction.

No comments: